Why invest in design? I have heard this so many times, ”we do not need designers, we need developers/business analysts/testers”, ”how can design bring value to the bottom line?” or ”design is so fussy/vague/muzzy/add your word here”.
Here are some of the good arguments I use when I talk to the management and leaders.
- Design makes you deliver 2X faster time-to-market (1)
- Design reduce your development time with 33% (1)
- Design driven companies outperform S&P by 211% over 10 years (2)
- Design invested companies outperform competitors by two to one in growth. (6)
- Design invested companies bring 6% higher return to shareholders. (6)
- The ROI for investing in design is 301% (1)
- Design bring value to the bottom line by increased customer satisfaction and loyalty and reduce cost (4)
- Design reduce risk by validating ideas earlier (4)
- Design makes you develop less things and focus on the right ones (5)
- Startups that fail mainly does it because of lack of empathy and understanding of the customer needs (5)
- IBM, as an example increased their portfolio profitability with $18.6 million by design driven work (1)
- happy and engaged colleagues (1)
- A more unique value proposition and brand
So do you have any other good arguments and resources that I can add to the list?